Guna was a part of erstwhile Gwalior State during pre-independence period. It was not considered expedient to locate the district headquarters at Guna, because of its being the British Cantonment. The old name of the district was Issagarh. In 1909 some districts were reorganised. As a result of this the headquarters of Issagarh district were shifted from Issagarh to Bajranggarh then a tahsil place. However Guna was made the headquarters of the district on November 5, 1922, as it was more suited than Bajranggarh in respect of basic infra-structural facilities. The Agra-Bombay road passing through Guna had already been there and the Midland Railway constructed the railway line passing Guna in 1897.
The most prestigeous industrial establishment of the region, the National Fertilizers Ltd. Vijaypur near Guna has made rapid strides in recent years. It has placed Guna prominently on the industrial map of the country. A broadcasting station of All India Radio was opened at Guna on 10th April 1993.
Guna Railway Station –
1899 Bina to Rajasthan railway line work was completed and train is running on the track, later it is extended to Kota . Railway officials said till then no british rail company was in existence. Most of the railway tracks were done by Royals and Emperors . This railway line was made by Scindia Sstate. After 114 years this line was getting double track . Gwalior – Shivpuri narrow gauge line was made by Scindia State on which small trains are also running, by past years it was removed. Its residues are also seen while passing from AB road. It was interesting combination that in 90’s that with respect to Narrow gauge a parallel broad gauge line work will start between Guna and Itawaha which was the dream project of late Mr. Madhav Rao Scindia who were the Railway Minister at that time.